Re: leaf spot

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997  VSpoon@aol.com writes:

>Insects such as aphids are spreaders of viruses, bacteria, etc.  It is
>in the books.

I have to agree.  I have much fewer problems with microbial plant disease
when the insects are under control.  There are other vectors, such as
rain splashes, but insects also appear to transmit the microbes.  This
does not necessarily mean a symbiotic relationship between the microbes
and the bugs -- it could just mean that the critters land on an infected
area, become contaminated, and then spread their germs when they land or
crawl elsewhere.

Lynn Woosley
Marietta, GA, USA
USDA Zone 7/8
Where yesterday we had a rain/sleet/snow mix, but today the first indigo
bunting of the season stopped at my feeder, and my buttercups seem to
have survived the cold.