Re: Safety in the garden (was "voles")

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Safety in the garden (was "voles")
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 11:28:16 -0700 (MST)

>I am very concerned by Ginny's methods of deterring voles. If used in
>combination, I think some of the things she is shoving down the holes could
>result in a small explosion!

Got voles? Get a cat. I've seen demonstrated in my yard the astonishing
efficiency of feline predation and heartily endorse it.

Of course, cats are now implicated in the decline of songbirds and frogs,
and one does need to consider vicious neighbors, allergic mothers-in-law,
feline leukemia and fast cars. I personally believe in keeping the beloved
cat locked in the house. But there's no denying a feline hunter is nature's
safest, cleanest rodenticide, leaving no harmful chemical residue (that
can't be scattered about or safely gobbled up by passing dogs).

Perhaps you could let the cat have the run of the iris beds for several
hours every day, then lock him safely away.

celia
proud co-owner of Otus the Head Cat, Arkansas' most famous dead-feline
newspaper columnist
storey@aristotle.net  USDA Zone 7b
Little Rock, Arkansas