Re: June bugs

>Linda--what you describe sounds more like Japanese beetles than June
>bugs--and Japanese beetles love blackberries.  I've never seen June bugs
>feeding during the day (and this involves 25 years of teaching entomology).
>I guess this comes from having a rather strict view of what is and what is
>not a June bug.  According to the American Entomological society, which has
>set itself up to regulate English names of insects, June bugs are several
>species of Phyllophaga.  But what are called June bugs in various parts of
>the country may not be members of this genus.   Just about any leaf-eating
>scarab beetle is called a June bug somewhere! William A. Shear

Uh oh, now I really am in trouble - how did I get arguing bugs with a genuine
entomologist anyway?  Nope, they are definitely not Japanese beetles, which
we have plenty of, but are much smaller than what we call June bugs.  Ours
are the green junebug or figeater, according to my little Zim and Cottam
Golden Nature Guide to Insects - I will see if I can get one of my colleagues
who knows bugs to give me a latin name for them.  "Adults fly in large
numbers, making a loud buzzing ..similar to ...bumblebees.  These insects are
more common in the South, where the adults damage apricots, figs, grapes,
melons, and other fleshy fruits".

We also occasionally have some brown dudes that look similar to the big fat
green ones, but are a little smaller.  They also eat blackberries.

Another southern specialty, to go with southern blight (Erwinia?) ! : )

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.come east Tennessee USA