Re: For Iris Shakespeare fiends - I mmeaaaan fans!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: For Iris Shakespeare fiends - I mmeaaaan fans!
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 19:04:37 -0700 (MST)

Hi Ian!

     You wrote (11 Feb 97):

> Jeff and Carolyn Walters wrote:
> I do know that the English Robin, though somewhat related, is a much
> > smaller bird than ours.
> No, the English robin is not in the same genus.  The American robin is a
> very close relative of the English blackbird and the thrush and they
> look very similar except for the difference in colour.  The English
> robin looks more like a wren than a American robin.

There is a slight misunderstanding here. When I wrote "somewhat related" I
did not mean to imply that the English and American robins were in the same
Genus. I was referring to the fact that they are in the same Family of
songbirds, the Thrushes or Turdidae. If we can consider the irids outside
the genus Iris as suitable subject matter for this list, I think we can
concede that thrushes outside the genus Turdus are still somewhat related
to those in it.

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
"This is the Place" - Utah Pioneer Sesquicentennial:  1847-1997