Genetics, feed back, genetic data bases

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Genetics, feed back, genetic data bases
  • From: RAINACRE@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 04:42:42 -0700 (MST)

Bill S.: One of the things I say frequently (to the anoyance of many) is that
iris hybridizers don't know much about genetics, and most of what they do
know is wrong. But we still create some wonderful things. If any real
understanding of genetics were the key to iris hybridizing, all the famous
hybridizers would also be geneticists. I don't know of any DM winners that
were geneticists or AM winners either. Randolph might be an exception. Maybe
others can fill us in on this. It's one thing to read about genetics, another
to know it and yet a third to understand it.

I have been pondering how much importance a hybridizer should place on feed
back regarding his introductions once they get out of the hybridizer's patch.
As we have seen by the widely differing views of Supreme Sultan and the ones
which have been mentioned as bloomouts in some areas, one gardener's disaster
is anothers delight.

Was it Sharon who mentioned a pedigree data base and a way to do parentages
on computer? I have longed for such a program. I have tried to use human
geneology programs from this and have run into a curious problem: An entered
name has to be male or female. Easy enough until you enter the same name with
the reverse gender!
Any infor about this wonderful data base and program would be appreciated.