Re: June Bugs

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: June Bugs
  • From: Dana Brown <ddbro@llano.net>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 08:24:36 -0700 (MST)

> "Our" June Bugs are 1-11/4" long 3/4" wide, dark brown and only come
> out after dark. They buzz around lights, bang into windows then burrow
> under the soil surface for the daylight hours. Guess we'll all have to
> go to scientific names for our bugs too.
	I have always called those pesky little brown bugs that flock around
your porch light and end up dead all over the porch potato bugs.  The
much larger irridescent green ones that we used to tie a string to and
watch them bounce off the walls during the daylight hours are what we
grew up calling june bugs.  Which ones produce those horrid white grubs
and do those grody things damage my iris?  I seem to have more than my
share.  I usually squash them with a rock, no wait maybe it is a stone?
(-;
--
Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7
17.76"