West Coast Irises

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: West Coast Irises
  • From: "Michael Cook" <macook@iglou.com>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 08:26:27 -0700 (MST)

     I would like to know what kind of luck Iris growers in the east are
having with Bearded  Irises that were hybridized on the West Coast.  I know
that some growers in this area claim that Irises from the west will not
grow well here.  The Irises that I grow originated in more than one part of
the US.  My own observations indicate that Irises that were hybridized on
the West Coast are no more likely to fail to grow than those that were
hybridized on the East Coast.
     Of the three times that I have won Best Specimen of Show, all were
with West Coast Irises.  The Irises were:  BENGAL TIGER, LADY FRIEND, and
PIPING HOT.
     I hope that I haven't opened up a can of worms here, but I will be
interested in seeing what other gardeners have to say on this.

Mark A. Cook
macook@iglou.com
Lexington, KY  USA    Zone 6 officially;  should be zone 5.