Re: Leaf spot

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Leaf spot
  • From: Dana Brown <ddbro@llano.net>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 08:25:32 -0700 (MST)

> By the way, this past summer I saw the first attacks by Japanese beetles on
> iris foliage--but only on I. virginica!  Has anyone else had this
> experience?
	Here in Lubbock we have a large problem with "Japanese Beetles"
damaging our blooms, most often during rebloom time.  Our "Japanese
Beetles" closely resemble a lady bug.  You can walk through the beds
during August or September and raise a cloud of them off of any open
iris bloom.  I use a lemon scented dish soap mixed in a hose in sprayer
and wash my roses and my iris once a week.  This seems to help deter
them and the aphids.  Since I started this program it has greatly
reduced my occurance of leaf spot.  Coincidence?  I am not against
chemicals but have trouble finding a time when I can safely spray them
thanks to our ever present winds.  I am not nearly so worried about
dousing myself with a little diluted dish soap as I am a fungicide or
insecticide.

--
Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7
17.76"