Alfalfa Tea

I am a new subscriber from central Ohio.  I have about 85 tall bearded irises
and a few Siberians and Japanese irises in my suburban garden.  I'm a member
of the Central Ohio Iris Society which is in AIS Region 6.

I would like to know how to make "alfalfa tea".  Is the tea application more
effective than a top dressing of the meal or pelletized form?  I usually
apply a low nitrogen fertilizer to my tall bearded irises about a month
before bloom time (which is the last week of May to mid-June here in
Mansfield.)  Does the alfalfa take the place of the commercial fertilizer, or
should it be applied in addition to it?

We are  troubled by iris borer here.  Does anyone know of an effective
deterrent that is not as highly toxic as Lindane or Cygon?

Kay Hostetler - Irisgrower@AOL,com
Mansfield, OH
Zone 5
We've gotten 3" of snow today and no sign of stopping!