ROT -- more questions

A couple of questions for the list's experienced growers of rot-prone TBs:

When rot hits a clump, does it spread throughout the clump and kill the whole
thing?  Or does it merely thin the clump?

I've noticed a few cases of the latter in arilbreds from hybridizers who
practice annual transplanting and have started to wonder if this ability to rot
selectively might actually serve as a survival mechanism.  Some of these have
gorgeous flowers that I'd like to use in hybridizing, if it weren't for the rot
factor.

Sharon McAllister (73372.1745@compuserve.com)
Southern New Mexico -- where rhizomes are more apt to petrify than rot