Re: Alfalfa Tea

jlsylves wrote:
> That is how I'd do it too. But I have always been puzzled about these
> suggestions; "use alfalfa tea, use manure tea" etc... Why would this be
> superior to just incorporating alfalfa into the soil, or onto the soil?
> It seems to me, that especially with a plant like an iris, that slow
> acting supplements may be equally or more beneficial.  Plus, with run-off
> and all, how do you know that the tea will end up just where it was
> intended? I can imagine that with houseplants, or exhibit flowers it may
> be a different matter. Judy Sylvester zone 5

I think I pointed out tsome of the problems with top dressing alfalfa in
my previous message. In general TBs don't like to be mulched during the
growing season, so using tea gets the nutirents to them in a schedule
you can control. Additionally it enables you the get that set of
nutirents to plants that you can't dig up or around. I agree
incorporating alfalfa into the soil prior to planting is probably the

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.