Re: West Coast Irises

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: West Coast Irises
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 11:06:13 -0700 (MST)

Michael Cook wrote:
>      I would like to know what kind of luck Iris growers in the east are
> having with Bearded  Irises that were hybridized on the West Coast.  I know
> that some growers in this area claim that Irises from the west will not
> grow well here.  The Irises that I grow originated in more than one part of
> the US.  My own observations indicate that Irises that were hybridized on
> the West Coast are no more likely to fail to grow than those that were
> hybridized on the East Coast.
>      Of the three times that I have won Best Specimen of Show, all were
> with West Coast Irises.  The Irises were:  BENGAL TIGER, LADY FRIEND, and
>      I hope that I haven't opened up a can of worms here, but I will be
> interested in seeing what other gardeners have to say on this.
> Mark A. Cook
> macook@iglou.com
> Lexington, KY  USA    Zone 6 officially;  should be zone 5.

What a refreshing point of view!  When I lived in Northern Virgina I
ordered iris mainly from Schrieners and Keppel.  I never had any
problems growing these iris.  Unfortunately I do remember the horrid
iris borers which attacked the poor things.  Glad I don't have them

Rick Tasco
Central California
Zone 8