Re: Safety in the garden--Cats

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Safety in the garden--Cats
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 16:23:49 -0700 (MST)

>Tell that to my huge gray gangster cat Yo, the most famous iris and garden
>poet in Virginia, and who is a published author!  Keep him inside! He would
>tear the house down. <snip> Deny him the garden. Never!  We are a
>team. Clarence Mahan in VA

To which I can only say, Tell that to Otus the Head Cat, maimed by nasty
neighbor, 1977; Frankie the Camp Cat, run over by a drunk, June 1983;
Phoebe the 'B-word' Cat, run over by a teenager, May 1985; and Pharaoh the
Destroyer, felled in 1996 by feline leukemia contracted before he came to
live with us. Although I would love to see my remaining kitty enjoying his
beloved great urban outdoors unsupervised as much as Yo gets to, where I
live outdoor cats DIE.

I love my vole-killing cat. He stays inside until I bring him out to
dispatch the pesky varmints in my iris beds, which he does superbly well,
and as I said, far more cleanly than any chemical ever could.

Celia ... proud co-owner of Otus the Head Cat who has been published a LOT
more than Clarence Mahan's cat Yo, and if you don't believe me, Clarence,
look up his column this Saturday at http://www.ardemgaz.com
storey@aristotle.net   USDA Zone 7b
Little Rock, Arkansas, where we are enjoying an unusual blanket of snow