Japonica and the Little Bulbous Irises

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Japonica and the Little Bulbous Irises
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 21:01:24 -0700 (MST)

In a message dated 97-02-13 20:28:25 EST, Lloyd Zurbrigg wrote:

<< The
 half-opened flowers on what I call Japanese quince have been ajar for days,
 but no warmth to let them finish opening.  >>

Well, Lloyd, if you were a native southerner, you would call it japonica.  I
never see that beautiful plant without recalling one of the most beautiful
poems in the English language: Henry Reed's "Lesson of the War: Naming of
Parts."  The opening lines are:

"Today we have naming of parts. Yesterday,
We had daily cleaning. And tomorrow morning,
We shall have what to do after firing.  But today,
Today we have naming of parts. Japonica
Glistens like coral in all of the neighbouring gardens,
And today we have naming of parts."

How I envy you with that splendid plant that "glistens like coral" already in
bloom.  When japonica blooms the bulbous irises-- reticulata, historio,
histrioides, danfordiae--should be coming on!  Clarence Mahan in VA