In a message dated 14/02/97  00:53:06, Dennis said:

<< If used correctly, it is of no more harm
 that the water we all drink. >>

Must contradict you here - research suggests that it can pollute groundwater,
and then reaches drinking water and rivers.
Spray drift in even the lightest of breezes is also a problem. It also become
residual in food crops, so can be directly ingested (was popular here with
apple growers).

However, I agree that abuse and misuse of chemicals is one of the main
reasons that they are withdrawn. Also, many are withdrawn for gardeners and
growers because we are not a big enough market - we have to try chemicals
that are recommended for big agricultural crops. We have found that chemicals
recommended for leeks and onions are generally safe for use on irises - in
the UK, this is covered by the "Off-Label Recommendation" rule, which is a
legal loophole allowing us to spray any chemical that has a recommendation
for a food crop onto ornamental plants.

..who does not profess to be an export, but tries to keep up with these
UK - less windy today, but frost tonight.