bzzzzzzzzzzz

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: bzzzzzzzzzzz
  • From: Christopher Hollinshead <cris@netcom.ca>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 13:53:29 -0700 (MST)

Croftway@aol.com wrote:

> I have a bee in my bonnet: lots of us do not use Netscape or Explorer (I use
> the AOL browser). We get VERY IRRITATED when we see sites that are "optimised
> for" whatever, and that are difficult for us to read.

Chris responds:
(not wishing to argue, merely needing to make a point or two)

I might suggest that possibly you should become EXTREMELY IRRITATED with
AOL for providing a technologically deficient browser with their
service. They should also help you out with any technical info that you
need if you wish to use another browser (such as you mention, MS
Explorer).
I am in fact thinking of the majority of Internet users, when providing
a website that is optimized for Netscape. The meaning of "optimized" in
this case is simply that the site is able to be "viewed closest to the
way it was designed" by using web browser X (which in this case happens
to be Netscape). Each browser displays the material slightly
differently.
The vast majority of web users use Netscape as the browser of choice.
And I quote from Netscape annual report 1995.

"Netscape Navigator continued to proliferate in the market, representing
by year end more than 70% of Internet client usage on the World Wide
Web, according to a variety of Internet sites such as the Internet
Financial Database, the Scripps Research Institute, TISC, and the
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign."
ref:
http://home.netscape.com/comprod/investor/report95/letter/index.html

Graham also wrote:
> So PLEASE think of us!!!! Do not make a barrier to other internet > users, particularly if your site promotes a society or organisation > that is trying to recruit members!

Chris further responds:
Sorry if those of you on AOL cannot view the site. No barriers intended
but I must serve the majority. If there is something special or specific
info required about the CIS I would be more than happy to forward same
to yourself or anyone by private e-mail upon request.
Also, we still have our quarterly CIS Newsletter printed upon regular
paper, "optimized" for your reading pleasure...
Nuf of this, back to tales of gardens far and wide.
--
Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b