Re: bzzzzzzzzzzz

> "Netscape Navigator continued to proliferate in the market, representing
> by year end more than 70% of Internet client usage on the World Wide
> Web, according to a variety of Internet sites such as the Internet
> Financial Database, the Scripps Research Institute, TISC, and the
> University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign."
> ref:
> http://home.netscape.com/comprod/investor/report95/letter/index.html

Netscape Navigator only runs on a handful of platforms, which
coincidentally comprise about 70% of the Internet client market.  Other
"open" browsers, such as Mosaic, are available in source format which
allows recompilation for every platform that contains a C compiler --
thus reaching a great majority of the Internet community. > 90%

For example, I can't run Netscape on my Unix box at home.  Not
supported.  Mosaic *is*.  If you use proprietary Netscape extensions in
your HTML, I can't see your site.  You must decide whether the benefit
gained from using a proprietary extension visible to 70% of the market
outweighs the other 30% who can't see your data.  You *can* choose to
use a standard non-proprietary extension instead and reach all of your

Your choice.  But don't be surprised when the 30% complain.

Amy Moseley Rupp
amyr@austx.tandem.com, Austin, TX, zone 8b
*or* amyr@mpd.tandem.com
Jill O. *Trades, Mistress O. {}