Re: ferraria

At 01:32 PM 2/14/97 -0700, you wrote:
>     Today, I have seen Ferraria crispa mentioned a couple of times.
>Several years ago, I saw this plant growing outdoors in the area of Vero
>Beach, Florida.  I would like to know if this species is difficult to grow
>Mark A. Cook

I am quite new at growing IRIDs, so, if I can do it, you probably can also.
I got my seeds from the SIGNA exchange and I grow them in an unheated
sunspace which is attached to out house.  The temperature can vary from 38F
to 100F w/i 24 hours, tho this is unusual...usually it doesn't go below 45F
or above 90F.  I think the important thing I learned about Ferraria (from
one pot that didn't do so well), is that they have to be allowed to go
dormant in summer.  If you haven't seen it, look at the corkboard at

A book I would suggest for many IRIDs is Cape Bulbs by Richard Doutt pub.
Timber Press.

Kathy Marble <cmarble@tiac.net>
Harvard, MA
zone 5