RE: Japanese Beetles

Clarence writes:

>One idea that I discovered by accident for keeping Japanese beetles at a
>minimal level on roses, grapes, etc. is to plant four o'clocks.  The beetles
>will descend on the four o'clocks in a great swarm and neglect other plants.
>You can then go out and pick off the beetles by the handful.  But plant the
>four o'clocks away from the plants you want to keep the beetles away from.

Clarence,
I don't know if we have Japanese beetles here in the Northwest, I have some
kind of black beetle that I find underground in my gardens, but they don't
seem to be hurting anything. My real question here is: what is a four o'clock?

Jefrie Jenkins
Kent, WA
Sunset Zone 5, USDA zone 7, AIS region 13