RE: Safety in the garden--Cats

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE: Safety in the garden--Cats
  • From: "Leon Adams Jr" <Leon_Adams_Jr@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 17:08:07 -0700 (MST)

I loved all the stories about everyones cats.
I too have cats who all used to be combination indoor outdoor cats. I have two
cats left Nestle an all white cat & Marble a Japanese bobtail. I lost Razz to
a passing motorist, Tabby & Zues disappeard, Fang & Jasmine died of Feline
Luekemia,  & Shadow died during an operation for a blocked bladder. My cats
would never have been happy as completly indoor cats. They would truly have
missed the wild world out there, and despite losing some of them, (we all die
at some time) I don't regret the choice made.

Unfortunately due to a late in life allergic reaction I had to relegate them
to totally outdoor cats.

Since they have become outdoor cats they have quit catching the little rodents
in my garden. Perhaps in retaliation, not understanding the necesity of the
move. To try to placate them I built (or I should say Leon built) them a large
cat house complete with window ledge beds, 6 foot ceilings, climbing posts,
heat & lights! And they still won't catch the rodents!, they play in the Iris
beds, batting at the leaves and many times breaking off the flowers. Usually
just before a show with the stalk that was sure to win Queen!
Despite all of these difficulties I must say I still love my cats and as long
as I wash immediately after petting them I can keep the allergic reaction down
to a minimum.
I am still surprised at the number of Iris people I meet who are also cat

Jefrie Jenkins
Kent, WA
Sunset Zone 5, USDA zone 7
AIS Region 13