Re: Off Topic -- Trifocals

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Off Topic -- Trifocals
  • From: Curt Marble <cmarble@tiac.net>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 19:14:10 -0700 (MST)

At 04:23 PM 2/14/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Clarence Mahan wrote:
>
>:  It may be
>:  these trifocals I wear which cause me to have to continually move my head up
>:  and down to see all areas of the screen.  Clarence Mahan in VA, trying to
>:  evoke sympathy after making egrecious error.

Sharon McAllister responded:
>As one of the generation that went from punched cards to PCs, I have to "plug"
>variable focal length lenses.  It's like having the close-up portion of
>bifocal/trifocal lenses blown up to full size.  A great convenience  for long
>sessions at the computer, as no "head bobbing" is required.

I'll add my two cents:
I've used variable focal length lenses for a number of years and love them,
but I recently had a discussion re them with an "expert" at Mass. Eye & Ear
Infirmiry (part of Mass. General Hospital).  He contends that bifocals are
better than variables because with variables one is constantly adjusting to
find the "right place" and the effort (of constantly adjusting) is too
tiring and makes one avoid reading.  I still stick by my variables, and it
isn't vanity (as that MD contends).

---------
Kathy Marble <cmarble@tiac.net>
Harvard, MA