Re: 4 O'Clocks and Hollyhocks, Iris companions

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: 4 O'Clocks and Hollyhocks, Iris companions
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 22:48:01 -0700 (MST)

<< My real question here is: what is a four o'clock? >>

The knee high annuals are filled with flowers in a wide range of colors.
 They open in the afternoon.  You can see them in a Burbee or Parks
catalogue.  They were, I think, originally from Peru.  Readily self seed, but
the best practice is to collect the seed.  Colorful, easy, they were much
grown by gardeners in the 30's and 40's but are not so popular any more. Fit
more into a cottage garden than the landscaped preferences to today.  As a
kid I would sit in my grandmother's garden at 4 o'clock to see them open and
was fascinated, because they usually opened about that time.

I was surprised you did not know what these were, but perhaps you are too
young to remember when they were popular. :)   Next you'll be telling us you
don't know how to make dolls out of hollyhock flowers that little girls used
to make...and I assume still do when they can find hollyhocks.  Clarence
Mahan in VA