Re: Fertilizing Iris beds

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Fertilizing Iris beds
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 08:01:40 -0700 (MST)

Hi all!

	Ginny P writes (15 Feb 97):

> I'll leave it to the experts to tell you how start a new  iris bed and
> how long to leave it to let it settle before planting but PLEASE  NO
> MANURE.  I killed a huge order 2 years ago because of manure.  -This was
> pre iris-l.  If iris-l had been started before I planted my iris, they
> would probably still be snuggled happily under their blanket of snow
> instead of rotting away.
Perhaps it would be good to have a discussion of general considerations
with regard to fertilizing iris. It is too early to do anything about it
here, but in milder climates I expect that this would represent "news you
can use" right away.

I will be the first to admit that I am anything but systematic in respect
to fertilizing my iris and undoubtedly could do a better job of optimizing
conditions for them in this regard.

Generally, I scatter whatever granular fertilizer I have that is not too
high in Nitrogen around the clumps in the Spring when growth has just
started and scratch it into the soil. I also incorporate similar fertilizer
into the soil by tilling it in before I replant in the summer.

What should I (we) really be doing?

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
"This is the Place" - where it is thawing again, but there is still several
inches of snow cover