Re: Four-o-clocks, was Japanese Beetles

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Four-o-clocks, was Japanese Beetles
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 08:26:21 -0700 (MST)

>Maybe the beetles die after days of horrible pain...but I never saw any dead
>ones on the ground around the 4 0'clocks.  But the beetles literally cover
>the plants.  Clarence Mahan in VA

Just for the record, I have never seen any dead insects of any kind around
my four-o-clocks, but two columbines planted near them died mysteriously
last summer. You don't think ...?

 One time, I was sitting in the den reading Molly Price's iris book when I
caught just the hinted sound of a quiet sort of commotion against the side
of the house in the dark, a subtle susurrant *presence* like no rustling
ever made by any living creature. Setting the book aside, I went to peer
out into the dark. What I could make out among the fitful moon-cast shadows
seemed in order. The four-o-clocks were standing up in their bed
nonchalantly, a little closer to the house than they had been before, I
thought. But just as quickly as it came, that nonsense notion slipped my
mind. I closed the door and went back to my book and eventually fell asleep
over Price's bloom-time charts.

But, in the morning the four-o-clocks were all tipped over at odd angles,
as though they'd been yanked out of the ground and hastily replanted. Even
more mysteriously, when I dug the tubers in the fall to transplant the
whole bed further back from the house, the tubers appeared hideously
engorged, like monster overgrown yams each one of which would have been big
enough to serve as sarcophagus to a ... to a vole.

I think we should all be very careful around these "Miracles of Peru." How
much do we really know about Peru and what goes on there?

celia
storey@aristotle.net  USDA Zone 7b
Little Rock, Arkansas ... where the sun is melting what little remains of
Thursday's seven inches (7!) of snowman snow.