In a message dated 97-02-14 22:28:05 EST, Lloyd wrote:

<< Clarence says it is not rot-prone, IMMORTALITY, that is.  I agree. But I
 had it rot on occasion, -usually where there was an overabundance of
 increase. >>

Have been reading all the rot and IMMORTALITY postings and wondering whether
to add my experience, and I think I will.  Maybe it will save someone else in
a cold climate from the same occurrence.  I do not think the irises mentioned
here are particularly rot-prone.  I just garden in a difficult climate.

I lost a small clump of IMMORTALITY to rot one winter.  It tried to rebloom
very late in the season, and the bloomstalks were frozen by a hard early
frost.  What I  SHOULD have done, and WOULD do now, is be sure to cut off all
the frozen bloomstalks and disinfect with powdered , chlorine-containing
bathroom cleanser (AJAX, COMET), or bleach, and keep a close eye on the clump
until I'm sure the wounds are sealed over.  Otherswise, soft rot can get
started, even if its cold, and over winter, under cover of snow, the whole
thing can be lost.  That was my sad experience.  It happened to me again with
MOTHER EARTH ( a bee-yoo-ti-ful iris, by the way, with a fascinating
irridescent sheen).  Okay, so I'm a slow learner.  But this fall, I caught
the same process in the act on Lowell Baumunk's MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM, so
there is hope!

I think the lesson is:  Choose rebloomers with great care if you garden in
cold areas, and keep an eye out for those late bloom stalks that ARE going to
get frozen.  And when they do,  be sure to take some preventative action, or
you may well have just a little mush come springtime.

Dorothy Fingerhood
Newfield, NY  ( A zone 4 microclimate in what is supposed to be zone 5, I