Re: Rebloomers and Rot (Was IMMORTALITY)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Rebloomers and Rot (Was IMMORTALITY)
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 11:42:22 -0700 (MST)

In a message dated 97-02-15 10:57:27 EST, Dorothy Fingerhood wrote:

<< I think the lesson is:  Choose rebloomers with great care if you garden in
 cold areas, and keep an eye out for those late bloom stalks that ARE going
 get frozen.  And when they do,  be sure to take some preventative action, or
 you may well have just a little mush come springtime. >>

Your message was filled with wisdom, and it betrays you as an expert! (I knew
that already)  Fortunately, Lloyd Zurbrigg taught me the same lesson years
ago and saved me grief.  And re the part of your message I have quoted above,
when you say "keep an eye out for those late bloom stalks that ARE going to
get frozen" I would like to add that a word to the wise is to REALLY look for
them---because some may be just starting to emerge from the rhizome and will
not be easily seen.  But it is worth the effort.  Clarence Mahan in VA