Re: Leaf spot

I have been out of town for a few days so haven't gotten back in the bug
frenzy.  The japanese beetles only bother the iris blooms here (so that means
only the rebloomers).  I try and spray them with Neem (R) which is the oil of
the Neem tree.  It seems to work great but the cost is rather prohibitive.
Also, my husband hybridizes and he always tells me "don't spray the blooms
I'm using them".  It saves the rose foliage though.

I just received the latest copy of the Daylily Journal (yes I belong to the
daylily club also) and they had a great article on daylily leaf streak.  It
was written by Christopher Darow who did his Master's research on this
disease and spring sickness.  He stated that leaf streak was caused by a
fungus: Aureobasidium microstictum and was characterized by small water
soaked spots that turn darker green, then translucent.  Next they gradually
turn brown, etc.  He also stated that: "the fungus requires leaf damage in
order to infect the leaf. However, the damage required may possibly be as
slight as wind damage, and probably damage by thrips or spider mites...." He
used pin pricks to inoculate the leaves with the fungus in the lab. He also
said that humid conditions contributed ... and ended with saying that
resistant cultivars should be selected for.  The article was very good and
may be of some interest to the iris readers.

Ginny
Winterberry Gardens zone 6
mountains of northern VA where there is still 2 inches of snow on the ground
and I'm sick of winter.