Re: Alfalfa Tea

Some readers already shared their recipies for the alfafa tea but I will add:
 It can't take the place of fertilizer, but it is a great addition.  It seems
to increase root growth and can be applied almost anytime.  I was using the
cornmeal weed control that youcan buy from Gardens' Alive.  It also adds
nitrogen plus controls crabgrass, and weeds.

 About the borers:  I ordered beneficial nematodes from Garden's Alive and of
thousands or irises we only had three irises with slight borer damage.  You
couldn't use this method of course if you used a nematicide.  Good
maintenance is helpful.  Pull off the dead leaves in the late fall and keep
your area clean since the night flying moth likes to lay her eggs in old
leaves.  It also seems to like large overgrown clumps better than small ones.
 Good Luck.

Ginny
Winterberry Gardens zone 6
northern Virginia