Re:Graham's Request

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re:Graham's Request
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 18:13:57 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey wrote:

> Walter Moore, thank you for the list of your introductions! I made a hard
> copy for future reference. Please tell me (so I will be less ignorant) why
> you chose these names:
>
> >1983    PURGATORY       TB      Variegata, HM 91, Pictured in Schreiners
> >catalog
> >1983    RUDI                    TB      Amoena plic in violet
> >1987    RANCHIPUR         AB      Khaki/gold arilmed HM 91
> >1988    ESALAN               AB      Khaki flecked wine arilmed
> >1988    SILENT SCREEN  TB      Pale blue, runner-up to Cook Cup in Ft.
> >Worth, 93
> >1995    ASCII ART            TB      Blue plic, just barely
>

> Celia
> storey@artistotle.net USDA Zone 7b
> Little Rock, Arkansas

	PURGATORY was so named  because one of its parents is DANTE'S
INFERNO.

	RUDI was selected by and named for Rudolphs (Rudi) Fuchs of
Denton, Texas, who was well-known in iris and weaving circles before his
death.

	RANCHIPUR is an exotic-sounding place name to me, and a lot of
aril-breds are named for exotic places.

	ESALAN sounds exotic also.  It is the name of a very fine Iranian
restaurant in Denton, TX.

	SILENT SCREEN  was chosen because SILVER SCREEN had already been
taken.  This iris is a pale blue-white which glistens in the sun.  Maybe,
it remotely reminds one of a motion picture screen!

	ASCII ART is named because of my interest in ascii art.  The
valentines I sent to the group are examples of ascii art.  The ascii
characters are scattered over  the computer screen 'background.'  Plicata
marks are scattered over a color ground, and that is the connection!

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS (our first full day of sunshine in over two weeks)