RE: Fertilizing Iris Beds

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE: Fertilizing Iris Beds
  • From: "Barbara Mann" <IrisMaven@msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 20:03:48 -0700 (MST)

Alee, I agree with you.  Most of the people around here who use granular
fertilizers do not use anything high in nitrogen in the spring; instead, they
apply super phosphate or triple phosphate before bloom time.  Then they use a
higher nitrogen balanced fertilizer later, usually when the iris are coming
out of summer dormance toward fall.  Myself, I use only compost I make from
garden and yard waste, rabbit bedding and manure (I cheat; I keep rabbits),
and dirt.  I keep adding a thin layer of this all non-frozen season, and it
seems to work fine.

Barb Mann, in Santa Fe, a high dry version of zone 5
IrisMaven@msn.com     (see, Sharon--I'm being good)