Re: Rebloomers and Rot (Was IMMORTALITY)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Rebloomers and Rot (Was IMMORTALITY)
  • From: jwallen@BLomand.Net
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 20:15:56 -0700 (MST)

>In a message dated 97-02-15 10:57:27 EST, Dorothy Fingerhood wrote:
><< I think the lesson is:  Choose rebloomers with great care if you garden in
> cold areas, and keep an eye out for those late bloom stalks that ARE going
> get frozen.  And when they do,  be sure to take some preventative action, or
> you may well have just a little mush come springtime. >>

Clarence responded,
>Your message was filled with wisdom, and it betrays you as an expert! (I knew
>that already)  Fortunately, Lloyd Zurbrigg taught me the same lesson years
>ago and saved me grief.

Julie adds,
I wish I had read this message last October.  I did cut off the bloomstalks
of my rebloomers, and I thought they would be safe from rot. But I didn't
disinfect them, and obviously I didn't watch them closely enough, because I
did get some rot.  We had a lot of rain in Nov., which probaably didn't
help.  But next year I will cut off rebloom stalks AND disinfect them AND
really watch them carefully. Thanks for the good advice.
Julie Allen Sparta, TN zone 6  jwallen@blomand.net