Re: Rebloomers and Rot (Was IMMORTALITY)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Rebloomers and Rot (Was IMMORTALITY)
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 08:28:21 -0700 (MST)

<< Does this mean that some of
 > these are not what would be considered cold season re-bloomers?  Phooey.
 > Are there reblooming diploids?  miniature tall bearded?
 > Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east Tennessee USA
 	Yes, some of the Sass brothers intros and probably G. Percy
 	Lloyd would be the authority for inquiring about the Brown
The caution of watching out for, and cutting out of bloom stalks of
rebloomers before winter comes does not pose a big problem with cold climate
(or warm climate) rebloomers.  It is not very difficult to do and little
enough to demand from plants that give such pleasure.

Almost all remontant irises are tetraploids or  interspecies hybrids which
are nearly sterile if they involve I. lutescens (Syn. I. chamaeiris).  There
are some old diploids, e.g. GRACCHUS, that will rebloom mostly in areas with
warm winter climates.  BUT it doesn't matter which ones you grow insofar as
looking for and cutting out late bloom stalks---it should be done.  There are
to my knowledge no miniature tall bearded irises currently available which
dependably rebloom in cold climate areas, unless one includes LADY EMMA,
which is registered as an MTB but which does not really conform to that
class.  I just wrote an article for the Reblooming Iris Recorder in which I
said much the same thing.

Dr. Nearpass has some MTB seedlings that rebloom, but these are tetraploids
involving I. aphylla in their breeding.  They are not on the market yet.  If
you really want to grow a reblooming iris without cutting out late bloom
stalks, the best one to grow is probably BABY BLESSED---it increases so
vigorously that you will never miss any rhizomes that rot.  Clarence Mahan in