Re: Iris Beds

Sharon says that her preferred manure is from horses. I would add that it is
important to note what type of bedding material is mixed with the manure. We
have manure from a local stables that uses wood shavings on the floor instead
of straw, and, if left to compost for six months before use, gives a lovely
friable soil improver that all herbaceous plants (esp. siberians) love. We've
also used it under TBs, added one month prior to planting.
Take care, as straw and wood shaving can both steal nitrogen - the microbes
that are rotting them down take it and keep it from your plants. Fresh manure
contains urine, which is very high in nitrogen.

Graham
Croftway Nursery, UK
croftway@aol.com