Re: Rebloomers - Diploids and MTB's

>Jeff writes...

>My understanding is that rebloom in diploid bearded iris is extremely rare.
>In the Ohio Gardens catalog I have (1992), which has an exhaustive listing
>of MTBs, LADY EMMA (F. Jones, 87) is noted as the ONLY reblooming MTB. It
>is a diploid, incidentally.

Lady Emma has given difficulty in classification since its introduction. It
is out of SDB x short BB breeding and I would venture, from both its
pedigree and from breeding attempts, that it is  a sterile 44 chromosome
intermediate. Lady Emma's morphology puts it more comfortably in the IB
class although there has been lively discussion on just where it should be

Mike,  mikelowe@tricities.net   --   http://www.tricities.net/~mikelowe/
South Central Virginia, USA
"Stealing time from ROOTS and the web page to read and respond to iris-l...."