Re: Rebloomers and Rot (Was IMMORTALITY)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Rebloomers and Rot (Was IMMORTALITY)
  • From: Jim Wilson <wilsonjh@muohio.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 13:19:13 -0700 (MST)

Mike, it continually amazes me how you (and Sharon,
and Clarence, and others) keep coming up with
all of this information.  Is there some master database
somewhere with these traits cataloged?  I'm sure that there
are lots of us who would be eager to plunk down our money
for a publication that would tell us what traits that certain
ancestors may be likely to pass on.   We can read this
list and Roots and other things here and there, which are
useful, but not comprehensive.  Several times I've traced a
pedigree and then not really known what I've learned or
how to find out.  If there's not such a thing already, would
you write us a book?          --Jim

P.S. I had Immortality rot once also, but it was a very wet
season, and it has been pretty much rot-free in Delaware
and here otherwise.

>that remont early and reliably. Whether or not 'Autumn King' is
>responsible, empirical evidence suggest that reblooming lines founded on
>this iris share several traits, ie.:
>        * shortness                     * resistance to leaf spot
>        * narrow hafts                  * pendulous, drooping falls
>        * resistance to soft and botrytris rot
>        * resistance to crown rot       * moderate bud count
>        * prominent haft markings       * poor branching
>        * ability to continue blooming and reblooming without frequent
>          and resetting.
Jim Wilson, Oxford, OH, USDA Zone 6a, AIS garden judge, Region 6
growing medians, TBs, Siberians, JIs, and a few SPU and species
wilsonjh@muohio.edu     http://www.muohio.edu/~wilsonjh