Moraea iridioides

Dear Iris Experts,
	We have been looking at a common plant at my mom's house and all over San
Diego for several years.  We had an idea that it was a member of the iris
family.  Yesterday we dug up several huge clumps of them  that my mom was
happy to share.  In our Western Garden Book they are called Moraea
iridioides.  The flowers are white with orange and brown blotches and
purple markings.  Are these truly considered to be iris or are they a
member of the lily family?  They are called Fortnight lily in the book.
 What soil and fertilizers do they thrive in best?  I'd appreciate any
information you might add.
				75 degrees and overcast in SD
				Sharlyn Rocha