Re: Siberians

Julie wrote:
>I am debating about adding Siberians to my gardens.  Will they do well here
>and if so, would some of you be willing to share your favorites with us so I
>know what would be best to order?  The new catalogs are enticing me.

Depending on your garden conditions, they may take a little effort.  It's
certainly not too warm or too cold there.  Your challenge may be making
sure that they get adequate water and maintaining a pH on the acid side
of neutral.  I'd check with others in the area growing them or similar
plants and get their tips.  The 28-chromosome ones should certainly
be within your reach, though.

It's always difficult to pick favorites.  I prefer the diploids, many of
which seem to me to have a graceful plant form in the garden, ones
like Esther CDM, Cleve Dodge, and Shirley Pope.  I also like the very
short I. siberica 'Nana Alba' which has been one of the most vigorous.
One of my favorite "repeat bloom" ones is Reprise--it seems always
to look good.  The larger flowers of the tetraploids are certainly
impressive, though, especially to take inside as cut flowers.
I've been impressed with lots of the new ones in others' gardens
too, and I'm hoping that my babies of them do well too.  Please
do take a look at my web page to see a few pictures, and lists of
award winners and popular ones.   Good luck!      --Jim

Jim Wilson, Oxford, OH, USDA Zone 6a, AIS garden judge, Region 6
growing medians, TBs, Siberians, JIs, and a few SPU and species
wilsonjh@muohio.edu     http://www.muohio.edu/~wilsonjh