Re: Siberians

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Siberians
  • From: Curt Marble <cmarble@tiac.net>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 16:32:04 -0700 (MST)

Julie Greenhill wrote:
>I am debating about adding Siberians to my gardens.  Will they do well here
>and if so, would some of you be willing to share your favorites with us so I
>know what would be best to order?  The new catalogs are enticing me.

I can't say how they would do in Wyoming, but I will shout the praises of
Siberians here in central Massachusetts (zone 5).  And my favorite is
Reprise, hybridized by Bea Warburton.  Last year my clump bloomed 8 weeks
continuously; in 95 it bloomed 7 weeks!  Reprise reminds me of what my
children called a "pink night"...the ethereal violet-pink-blue soft glow
that some sunsets bring.  Well, that's how it strikes me.  Another favorite
of mine is Bellissima, a white.  One of the wonderful things about Siberians
(in addition to their landscape value and their inherent beauty) is that you
don't have the rhizome-rot problems that are much discussed here on the list.

My favorite source of Siberians is Marty Schafer and Jan Sacks; Joe Pye
Weed's Garden; 337 Acton Street; Carlisle, MA 01741.  They carry many
Warburton introductions as well as their own.  (Marty and Jan swept the
Siberian seedling awards at last year's Siberian convention.)  They also
sell Japanese, species and Versicolors, including Mysterious Monique (much
discussed on the list since the AIS Bulletin picture).  Someone on the list
said M/J are willing to ship in the spring but I can't verify because I
haven't received this year's catalog yet.

---------
Kathy Marble <cmarble@tiac.net>
Harvard, MA
zone 5