Re: Siberians

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Siberians
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 17:29:21 -0700 (MST)

Hi Julie!
     You write (16 Feb 97):
----------
> I am debating about adding Siberians to my gardens.  Will they do well
here
> and if so, would some of you be willing to share your favorites with us
so I
> know what would be best to order?  The new catalogs are enticing me.

I have already seen several postings - from Keith, Jim, and Kathy - with
good suggestions about growing Siberians.

Let me just add from my somewhat limited experience growing them in this
part of the country that the two most critical considerations are soil pH
and maintaining an evenly moist soil. Mulching the plants is a big help
with the latter. At my soil pH (6.5 - 6.7) I have not experienced much
trouble with chlorosis (yellowing of the leaves) in Siberians, but if yours
is above this level, you should definitely take steps to lower it before
planting any.

I have had success in establishing Siberians with both Spring and Late
Summer planting. The Sibs I got two years ago from Terry Aitken and which
he shipped in mid-August took off much more quickly than the ones from
another supplier who shipped in mid-September, and the latter still have
not caught up.

Among the cultivars I have planted, LAVENDER BOUNTY has taken off the
fastest, and I also like APPALOOSA BLUE for the lovely dappled pattern of
its falls. Bea Warburton's introductions, as mentioned by Kathy, also seem
to be doing quite well for me.

Happy irising!

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
cwalters@cache.net