Re: aphids

The aphids did the same thing here in Northern VA two weeks ago when we had a
warm spell.  The ladybird beetles woke up enough to eat some of them.  We got
another cold spell this week and hopefully it killed the aphids and not the
ladybird beetles.  I wouldn't worry about the aphids this time of year but if
you have trouble later I recommend Merit, a new systemic which controls
aphids, japanese beetles, and iris borers(spray March-May), and basically
most sucking or chewing insect.  It is not effective against spider mites
though. It has a low LDL rating (almost as safe as Safer's Soap) and 1/10th
of a teaspoon to a gallon of water.  This does not affect the beneficial
insects.  I spray about every two or three weeks in the summer.  If you don't
have a large area to spray, a good spray of water will wash them off.

VSpoon@aol.com
Winterberry Gardens
Northern VA zone 6 where it's raining outside but spring is coming