Re: Japanese Beetles

>has anyone else had experience with
>the death-dealing Mirabilis?
>Carol Blais

I have Mirabilis (4 oclocks) which are more or less perennial here.  I also
have Japanese beetles, but have never noticed them together.  I will observe
this year.

My understanding is that when Japanese beetles first invade a new area, the
populations increase horribly for a few years, then they crash and never
become too serious of a problem (relatively speaking) again.  Certainly was
true here - they defoliated trees the year they peaked.  I wondered how I
would learn to live with them and if my beloved green June bugs would survive
the comptetition.  Now I have to hunt to find enough to use as fish bait
(good for creek bluegills).  And the June bugs rise in swarming buzzing
hoardes from the lawn as the day warms.

Reminds me of the time I went into the local hardware store and asked the
young man who offered to help if he had milky spore disease.....