Report of Springtime in the South (U.S.)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Report of Springtime in the South (U.S.)
  • From: Donald Mosser <dmosser@southconn.com>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 15:32:02 -0700 (MST)

Looks like spring is in the air in the southeastern U.S., with this week
predicted to get into the 70's F.  I have already noted extraordinary
growth on JESSE'S SONG, SHOOT THE MOON, WHERE THERE'S SMOKE, SILVERADO and
HEAVENLY BLISS. BEFORE THE STORM is lagging behind these others by a
little, but maybe it knows something that the rest don't (like the
possibility of another severe freeze). However, it may be that BTS is
putting it's energy into lots of increase rather than several gargantuan
fans.:)

After our good 2 inches plus of rain last week, it seems that all of my
irises have been sparked into active growth.  If this growth rate and warm
weather keeps up, I will have a very early bloom season this year!

Close inspection has just revealed that the Japanese and Louisiana irises
are off and running as well.  The siberians that I planted last Fall are
just beginning to peak out with a little bit of green showing on some.  I'm
keeping my rhizomes crossed for no late frosts and lots of balmy weather
from here on out.:)

-Donald

Donald Mosser
Member of AIS, HIPS, SIGNA, SSI, SLI, SPCNI, and IRIS-L
dmosser@southconn.com
http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/5570

North Augusta, South Carolina, USA
USDA Zone 7b-8