Re: Hollyhock Dolls, and an Apology

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Hollyhock Dolls, and an Apology
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 16:18:49 -0700 (MST)

<< Judy, I am sorry.  I had already posted my note on how to make the dolls
 before I read Clarence's post to you.  I didn't mean to take over and again
 I am sorry. >>

I say! You girls are still fighting over making those hollyhock dolls!  Just
like when I was a kid.  Who gets the red one! Who made the prettiest! etc
etc.  You girls never grow up!  Next thing you'll be fighting over who has
the prettiest irises!

In all seriousness, I loved your story! It truly brought tears to my eyes.
 (And am prepared to take anybody on who says it is not about irises!)   On
that day of "joy and sorrow" my aunt and uncle had taken me to Forest Park in
Dayton, Ohio (It was in 1945 the Disney World of central Ohio!).  When
someone yelled "The war is over!" the whole world went wild---even though I
was only 6 years old, I will never forget it.  I had not seen my father since
I was 3 and could hardly remember him. The "August lilies" (hosta
plantaginea) were in bloom, and their sensuous fragrance floats through the
decades to remind me still.

(And everyone knows hosta plantaginea is an excellent companion plant for
reblooming irises).  Clarence Mahan in VA