Cold-weather Spurias

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Cold-weather Spurias
  • From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 17:58:45 -0700 (MST)

Michael Cook wrote:
>   Although
> Kentucky is not considered as being Spuria country, I have a few of them.
> Can you name some that are especially strong growers.

One spuria you might want to try is Highline Snowflake. Although it
comes from San Diego, it is much shorter than most Spurias and at least
in the bearded sections shorter iris tend to like cold better than tall
ones. HS is a very pure white with _perfect_ ruffling.

Gerry (disclaimer: I have a lot of respect for its hybridizer, Eleanor
gcsnyd@loop.com    AIS Region 15
Warm, winterless Los Angeles