Re: Siberians

K and J wrote:

> I am debating about adding Siberians to my gardens.  Will they do well here
> and if so, would some of you be willing to share your favorites with us so I
> know what would be best to order?  The new catalogs are enticing me.
>
> Julie Greenhill
> greenhill@tcd.net
> Cheyenne WY Zone 5 (almost to Zone 4)

Julie,

I would imagine that the Siberians should do well for you since they are
basically cold climate plants.  As others mentioned on the list they
should have a slightly acid and moist bed.  When preparing a new bed I
till in oak leaf mold, alfalpha pellets, and an acid fertilizer like
those used for azaleas.  After planting I mulch with shredded bark.

My favorite siberian is Jeweled Crown.  This siberian is a show stopper
in my garden.

Rick Tasco
Central California
Zone 8