Re: MARTHA STEWART VISITED SCHREINERS IRIS GARDENS IN SALEM

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: MARTHA STEWART VISITED SCHREINERS IRIS GARDENS IN SALEM
  • From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 19:53:12 -0700 (MST)

	Nicki Shay wrote:

>I enjoy Martha's shows and her magazine, so every day at noon PST, I take
>a breather and watch.  Today her segment contained the beautiful iris at
>Schreiners gardens in Oregon.  That is where the majority of my iris
>comes from - and in light of the discussions concerning whether western
>iris can grow in New England, etc., she says that hers have done
>beautifully!

	This talk of western vs. eastern is a bit overdone in my opinion.

	I was struck with someone in California (forgot who) saying Mark
	Cook should try a certain Spuria (shorter,etc) since it does well
	in 'cold' climates. Mark lives in Kentucky which is Southern
	to me, albeit a border state.

	Another post from Virginia (?) talked about croci budded, etc.

	Yes, these are 'Eastern' states but what a difference between my
	climate (Zone 3) and these reports from Kentucky and VA. New
	England may be a small region but we go from Zone 3 to Zone 6 or
	7 (CT seacoast ?).

	I grow iris from different parts of the country but I haven't
	tried California yet but I plan to order some this summer since
	I am curious.

	Not to disparage Ms. Stewart (altho' she is not my favorite public

	personality - is there anything she doesn't do perfectly ?) or
	Nicki certainly, but Southern Connecticut has less in common with
	 the Northern White Mountains in NH then Pocatello, Idaho has.

	Zones, moisture, pH of soil and water, altitude, mineral content
	of soil, length of growing season, whether one uses chemicals
	to garden, etc. Factor these into the mix and then we can talk
	western vs. eastern.

 	Not only do I think it is fallacious, it is divisive.

	Ellen

Ellen Gallagher	\ e_galla@moose.ncia.net \ Lancaster, New Hampshire,USA
		USDA Zone 3a \ Northern White Mountains