Re: Beetlemania

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Beetlemania
  • From: Dana Brown <ddbro@llano.net>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 21:21:04 -0700 (MST)

>  Here in Lubbock we have a large problem with "Japanese Beetles"
> :  damaging our blooms, most often during rebloom time.  Our "Japanese
> :  Beetles" closely resemble a lady bug.  You can walk through the beds
> :  during August or September and raise a cloud of them off of any open
> :  iris bloom.
During my long layout I consulted my bug book while we started
reorganizing the library.  I discovered (much to my chagrin) that my
Japanese Beetles are actually 12 spotted Cucumber Beetles.  Oops.  To
further confess I found out that our Potato Bugs are in fact June
Beetles and are the adult form of those nasty white grubs.  The
iridescent green bug we call a June Bug is called a Green June Beetle in
this book.   The book I used was "CRITTERS" by Bill Zak.  Sorry for all
the "mis-information".
Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7
of rain a year.  Our average wind speed is 12.5 mph and we have an