Re: More on Manure

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: More on Manure
  • From: Dana Brown <ddbro@llano.net>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 22:14:43 -0700 (MST)

> Bedding material??  Floor???    I was thinking in terms of corrals, where the
> only thing it gets mixed with is native soil!
For all of the years that we had horses here we had a steady supply of
horse manure.  We would clean stalls once a week (minimum) and haul the
"recycled alfalfa" out into the pasture and dump it.  We would run over
it with the shredder and kind of level it out.  The pile made this year
would be used to fertilize next years garden, vegetable and flower.  It
worked great.  Just adds one more reason to the list of why I would like
to have horses again.  That is until I remember mucking out those
stalls, hauling in hay by the ton, paying farrier bills, vet bills, oh
no... maybe I will just go get a load now and again from a friend who
still gives it away.
Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7
of rain a year.  Our average wind speed is 12.5 mph and we have an