Re: Wierd Increases

John I Jones wrote:

> Ok, This is a novice question.
>
> I have two iris that this year both exhibit the characteristic of
> producing a large number of small(er) increases very closely bunched at
> the end of the mother rhizome. So many in fact that the thing reminds me
> of a squid and its tentacles. The two cvs are Heady Perfume (Weiler 91)
> and Bridal Fashion (Weiler 86). Noting that they were both by the same
> hybridizer, I looked up the parentage. They both have Thick and Creamy
> in the first level. I didn't find any other common ancestors, but I
> don't have the data to go very far back.
>
> So, would it be proper to infer that Thick and Creamy could be the
> source of a characteristic like that, and does anybody know if T&C does
> the same thing? Or is this whole thing just a wierd occurance in my
> garden?

>                          |  Annotation used by ancient cartographers
>                          |  to indicate the edge of the known world.
>
> John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
> Fremont CA, USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
> Max high 95F/35C, Min Low 28F/-2C average 10 days each
> Heavy clay base for my raised beds.

John,

Just a weird thing in your garden!  Don't blame it on Thick And Creamy
as I have grown it for 9 years and have never seen it exhibit those
characteristics.  I have also grown Bridal Fashion for years and ditto.
Have never grown Heady Perfume, so can't speak about it.

Rick Tasco
Central California
Zone 8