East vs. West, North vs. South (was Martha Stewart)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: East vs. West, North vs. South (was Martha Stewart)
  • From: Croftway@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 04:59:30 -0700 (MST)

Ellen said:
<<  Zones, moisture, pH of soil and water, altitude, mineral content
	of soil, length of growing season, whether one uses chemicals
	to garden, etc. Factor these into the mix and then we can talk
	western vs. eastern.>>

I agree with Ellen.
I am dismayed to read in the AIS Bulletin (arrived today) that Rosalie Figge
suggested two editions of the new Mahan/Witt iris book - one for east, one
for west. I can think of no justification for this, particularly if the book
is to have global appeal. What is important is that the book should contain
cultural information that can be applied to different climates, which I'm
sure Clarence will include.
If Rosalie is reading this, please elaborate on your reasoning behind your
comments.

Graham Spencer
Croftway Nursery, UK, zone 8
croftway@aol.com